The PhD programme in Environmental Law focuses on developing the capacity of professionals in the field of development and implementation of environmental regulations, norms and institutions. Such professionals will also advise policymakers, administrators and actors in environmental governance and participate in resolving disputes in the environmental field.
The design of the programme responds to a need both within universities and the country for specialised experts in the field of environmental law, expertise that is imparted through a rigorous and relevant PhD Programme. The Doctor of Philosophy programme in Environmental Law will complement CASELAP’s existing programmes and enable the University to produce critical environmental thinkers, capable of developing, interpreting and applying environmental rules in an integrated and multi-disciplinary context.
The objectives of the Programme shall be to:
- Develop world-class and exemplary scholars with innovative research and analytical competencies in environmental law;
- Equip students with advanced, relevant and cutting edge knowledge on environmental norms, regulations, procedures and institutional arrangements within national, regional and global contexts;
- Inculcate a culture of a multi-disciplinary approach to learning, designing laws and linking legal and policy prescriptions in addressing environmental challenges; and
- Prepare students to teach in institutions of higher learning.
MODE OF DELIVERY
The PhD Environmental Law Programme will be offered through various modes of delivery including
- Face to face
- Open, Distance Learning and e-learning (ODeL),
- Blended learning.
SCHEDULE OF INTAKES
Admissions for this programme happens once a year, at the beginning of every academic year. Processing of admissions happens continuously during the calendar year.
The common regulations governing admission into taught PhD programmes in all Institutes, Faculties, Schools and Centres of the University of Nairobi shall apply.
The following shall be eligible for admission:
- A holder of a Master of Arts degree in Environmental Policy, Environmental Law or Environmental Diplomacy from the University of Nairobi or any other institution recognized by the Senate.
- A holder of a Masters Degree in environmental studies, law, humanities, natural or social sciences or their equivalent from the University of Nairobi or any other institution recognized by the Senate.
- A holder of a doctoral degree in the above fields from any institution recognized by the Senate.
Fees and Funding
|DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY IN ENVIRONMENTAL LAW(Z82)|
|Ph.D In Environmental Law-Z82-6 units + Thesis|
|EXAMINATION (PER UNIT @1000)||1000|
|MEDICAL FEE (PER YEAR)||6500|
|ICT SERVICES - (PER YEAR)||7000|
|CAUTION - (ONCE)||5000|
|LIBRARY (PER YEAR)||5000|
|ACTIVITY-( PER YEAR)||2000|
|REGISTRATION (PER SEMESTER@2250)||2250|
|ID CARD ( PER YEAR)||1000|
|STUDENT ORGANISATION(PER YEAR)||1000|
|Year 1-semester 1||Year 1-semester 2||Year 2||Year 3|
|3 units||3 units||Thesis||Thesis|
|EXAMINATION (PER UNIT @1000)||3000||3000||0||0|
|MEDICAL FEE (PER YEAR)||6500||0||6500||6500|
|ICT SERVICES - (PER YEAR)||7000||0||7000||7000|
|CAUTION - (ONCE)||5000||0||0||0|
|LIBRARY (PER YEAR)||5000||0||5000||5000|
|ACTIVITY-( PER YEAR)||2000||0||2000||2000|
|REGISTRATION (PER SEMESTER@2250)||2250||2250||4500||4500|
|ID CARD ( PER YEAR)||1000||0||1000||1000|
|STUDENT ORGANISATION(PER YEAR)||1000||0||1000||1000|