The Environmental Policy thematic area at CASELAP is designed to advance and strengthen the existing knowledge base of environmental policy scholars and practitioners to enable them undertake critical analysis and evaluation of various environmental policy issues and to conduct advanced level research to mainstream environmental considerations in natural resources management for sustainable development. Faculty members bring scholarly, practical and public service skills and experience in science and policy, climate change risk assessments, mitigation and adaptation, environmental impact assessment and audits, environmental policy analysis, participatory approaches and project cycle management, environmental and ecological economics, resource economics, dynamic optimization, use of non-parametric frontier methods in solving environmental problems, and climate change
The specific objectives of the Environmental Policy Programme are to:
1. Enable students have good knowledge of environmental policy and equip them with hands-on and advanced skills in environmental governance;
2. Demonstrate the relationship between environmental policy and science by facilitating dialogue among the two specializations and thus promote efficacy in environmental governance;
3. Prepare senior policy makers and corporate leaders with skills to mainstream environment and natural resources policy into their respective fields to promote sustainable development;
4. Promote knowledge and insights for protection of the threshold of sustainability in utilization or enjoyment of the environment and natural resources sustainably;
5. Prepare natural resources managers for informed interventions or other forms of avoidance and/or settlement of disputes on environmental matters; and
6. Offer quality training which prepares those aspiring to pursue scholarship at doctoral, research or teaching levels and thus ensure inter-generational succession of management experts.